It’s winter. Still. It’s still winter, and it’s gloomy and cold, and gets dark early. It’s easy to get down in the dumps and neglect your well being. In hopes of curing your winter blues….. Here are 6 quick ways to instantly improve the way you feel:
- Spend 10 minutes foam rolling or stretching. Foam rolling, otherwise known as “self-myofascial release” is a form of self-massage. Who doesn’t love a massage? Even better, a FREE massage that does not require you to leave the house. Here’s why you should foam roll regularly:
- Correction of muscle imbalances
- Muscle relaxation
- Improved joint range of motion
- Reduced soreness and improved tissue recovery
Don’t have a foam roller, or know how to use one? Stay tuned for my foam rolling workshop coming in early March!! In the meantime, do some stretches. Turn off all media – phones, tv, other noise… connect with your breath and just stretch your body!
- Eat some fatty fish! Cold water fish like salmon, trout, sardines, and Atlantic mackerel have EPA (an Omega-3 Fatty acid) and Vitamin D which are both known to boost your mood. To keep your mood enhanced, strive for 3+ servings each week.
- Acknowledge 3 things that you are grateful for – big or small. Sometimes, when life gets stressful or overwhelming, all you need is a quick reset of the mind. Think about something that brings you joy. As I’m writing this post, I can see a red cardinal outside my window. Such a small pleasure, but the contrast of its red feathers against the dry winter grass is simply beautiful. Look around, and see what you can appreciate – it will surely shift your mood and focus to a more positive realm.
- Create your “Critical Six”. It is very easy to sit down and make a to-do list, only to realize that you have 25+ things that need to get done. Then you get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of tasks, and often you shove the list aside as your motivation leaves completely. I was introduced to the Critical Six in James Arthur Ray’s book “Harmonic Wealth“.
- At the end of each day, write down the six most important things you need to do to achieve your current goals. These need to be specific objectives, or task oriented items.
- Put them in order of importance (1 – 6)
- Then, starting the next morning, start on number 1. When 1 is finished, move to two. Continue for each item. If the day ends and the full list is not completed, then the remaining items become the most important for the next day.
Having this prioritized list, prevents you from floundering around until you decide which task to do. You tackle your most important thing first, when your motivation is highest. Having a manageable list of 6 high priority items will keep you focused and prevent that overwhelm that comes with a normal to-do list.
- Take a “me time out” for some personal grooming and pampering. Take a bath or shower to soothe your body. Paint your nails. Put on a face mask. Do something for your body that will leave you feeling refreshed. It won’t take long, and you’ll feel physically refreshed, and gain some mental clarity.
- Allow yourself to be a kid. For 10 or 15 minutes, just play. Don’t think about what you should be doing, or what’s on the schedule for tomorrow. Don’t think about money, or time, or anything that causes us grown-ups stress. Children live completely in the moment, and find a way to make everything fun. Dance in your kitchen, play a game with your family, or start at game of tag with your partner. We deserve to enjoy life just as we did as a child.
I hope these suggestions help you as they help me when I need a little boost. Leave a comment below with what you plan to do to feel better TODAY!
Questions about fitness? Wellness? Need some support with working out and eating well? Let me know HERE